To follow up the commitment of GHG emission reduction, the RAN-GRK are arranged to provide a framework for the central government, local government, private sector and other stakeholders in carrying out activities relating directly or indirectly to reducing GHG emissions in the period 2010 -2020 in accordance with the Long Term Development Plan (RPJP 2005- 2025) and the Medium Term Development Plan (Plan). RAN-GRK is formalized in a Presidential Regulation No. 61 Year 2011.
RAN-GRK propose mitigation actions in five priority areas (Agriculture, Forestry and Peatland, Energy and Transport, Industry, Waste Management) as well as the activities of other supporting, an integral part of national development planning that supports the principles of economic growth, poverty reduction, and sustainable development.
RAN-GRK implementation adopts a participatory approach in which the active involvement of the central government, local governments and stakeholders is needed to draft Regional Action Plan for Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction (RAD-GRK) for achieving GHG emission reduction targets in the whole of Indonesia. Therefore, for the implementation of the
RAN-GRK, need to be made Guideline Implementation Action Plan for Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction.
In the early part of this guide will explain the essential elements that are used to measure the achievement of GHG emission reduction activities. The success of a mitigation actions will be measured by looking at how much GHG emissions reductions are achieved as compared to BAU conditions and implementation. Preparation of mitigation actions must be in accordance
with the framework of NAMAs (Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions) are supported by the device effective policy and funding instruments.
- Serves as guidelines for line ministries for planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating GHG emissions reduction action plan.
- Serves as guidelines for local government in the preparation of RAD - GRK.
- Reference standard for public and entrepreneurs in planning and implementation of GHG emission reduction.
Relation of RAN and RAD-GRK
The RAN-GRK implementation embraces a participatory approach system in which activity participation of the central government, provincial governments and local governments, the private sector and related stakeholders are given a key role for developing Local Action Plan for GHG Emission Reduction (RAD-GRK) for the achievement of GHG emission reduction targets across Indonesia. In order to adjust national sectoral policies and instruments along local needs and potentials in all 33 provinces, provinces have been asked to develop a provincial action plan for GHG emission reduction (RAD-GRK) . These action plans shall planned considering the following steps:
- Calculation of GHG inventory and of a provincial multi-sectoral BAU baseline.
- Identification and selection of mitigation actions
- Development of mitigation scenarios according to selected and prioritized GHG mitigation actions in line with their local development priorities and plans
- Identify the key stakeholders/institutions and financial resources.
- Local governments also can encourage the involvement of public and private companies by raising awareness of the climate change impacts and facilitating PPPs (among other options)
In particular on local level (province, district / cities), the capacities in terms of human, institutional and funding aspects need to be further enhanced in order to be able to develop and implement the RAD GRK successfully. Hence, the technical facilitation of RAD GRK development by local governments will be a major focus of the secretariat´s work.